- This event has passed.
What’s Next for the CRA?
May 6, 11:00 am EDT - 12:30 pm EDT
Regulations under the Community Reinvestment Act (CRA) have not been substantially updated since 1995—notwithstanding enormous changes in the financial services system and many aborted attempts. Last December, the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation proposed a regulation that would vastly change how banks are evaluated under the CRA; comments were due April 8. As bankers, communities, and policymakers consider the proposal, what are their thoughts about its impact? On communities? On banks large and small; urban, rural, regional, and national; virtual and traditional? How has COVID-19 influenced those evaluations?
This event is hosted by the Urban Institute. A panel of experts will consider these issues, as well as procedural concerns with the proposal, including the Federal Reserve Board’s decision not to join in.
- Laurie Goodman, Vice President and Codirector, Housing Finance Policy Center, Urban Institute
- Buzz Roberts, President and CEO, National Association of Affordable Housing Lenders
- Josh Silver, Senior Advisor, National Community Reinvestment Coalition
- Mark Willis, Senior Policy Fellow, New York University Furman Center
- Ellen Seidman, Nonresident Fellow, Urban Institute (moderator)